Sunday, July 25, 2010

First Studio Setup and Initial Armature


This was the first studio I moved into in Berkeley, unfortunately it did not last very long. I built the majority of the armature for the large head here. Initially I had planned on making two identical armatures and working on building both heads at once. The plan was inspired by the space and shape of the studio.
These photos are from my first week in the studio when I was collecting materials and drafting sketches for the VBH.
The setup, included covering the floor with rosin paper, which took a while, but the result was well worth it.

Below is the chicken wire skeleton of the first armature. To build this I began by drawing the shape of the base onto the paper on the floor. Then I made a long tube of chicken wire that I bent into outline of the armature's profile to act as a spine that would support the weight of the chicken wire walls.

Unfortunately, the tenant I was subletting the space from got into a dispute with the landlord and was kicked out. Consequently, I had to vacate the space as well after less than a month! I had finished the first armature (above) and had begun the second one when I received the news that I had to leave. I had covered the first armature with ribbed layers of burlap and plaster, which made it ridged enough to transport, but too bulky to move in one piece. I had to cut the armature into two halves to get it out the door.


No comments:

Post a Comment