Sunday, July 25, 2010

Buying and loading clay in bulk

The store I buy my clay from is very close to the new studio I moved into. Unlike my first studio which was the cottage behind a house in a residential neighborhood, the new studio is in a warehouse district in a complex predominantly used by artists and hobbyists called Activspace. To purchase the first and largest load of clay I would use I needed to come with two cars to distribute the weight...
The clay was brought out on a palette with a forklift. The type of clay I decided to use is called Berkeley Sculpture Clay. It is very groggy and appropriate for my mission (to make a large sculpture in Berkeley).

Each box on the palette holds 50 lbs of clay. The personel at the store helped me load the clay into the two cars and were kind enough to come with me to my studio to help me unload the boxes. I think I was a bit of a curiosity to them for buy an entire palette of clay.


No comments:

Post a Comment