Saturday, August 21, 2010

Finishing the Polyurethane Mold

The head is now in the final stages of the rubber mold. I have added seem lines that are supported around the edges by a layer of cheese cloth embeded in the last coat of rubber. I also added several 'buttons' to the surface of the mold that will act like snaps or buttons when the rubber mold is in the mother mold. The mother mold will be added over the rubber mold once the rubber has had a little more time to set. It will be make out of plaster and fiberglass.

The photo above is of the vats of the A and B components I used to make the polyurethane rubber mold. The smaller buckets are what i used to mix the two components together. I had to have five of these buckets to rotate through as I mixed new batches of rubber. I mixed the rubber with a paint mixer and applied it with large flat brushes.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I would love to showcase this project on our website! Please contact me at jason@smooth-on.com

    ReplyDelete