Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Optimistic Attempt at Building Mass and an Excuse to Play with Foam

To model the shape of the head I decided to try using foam and dow board.

At the base of the head I started gluing together slices of dow board with gorilla glue as recommended by a fellow sculptor from Hampshire College. Waiting for the glue to set was too time consuming and wouldn't allow me to put pieces together fast enough. I changed to building some support boards that jut out from the original armature and I am now connecting them together with wire and spray foam. I'm a little concerned about how the dow board and spray foam will hold up to the weight of the clay.
As you can see from this last photo the original armature has become dwarfed by the scale of the face so continuing to build outwards with clay alone is not an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment