Saturday, August 14, 2010

Dow board done, more clay

My venture into foam tured out to be fruitful. From the bottom two photos in this post you can see that I used the dow board like tiles or puzzle pieces and the spray foam like grouting material. I am very pleased with how the structure has worked out. It is unfortunate that I have to cover it with clay because I find the bare foam structure to be very peculiar and exciting. The other great discovery I found about the foam is that it stands up to the weight of the clay extremely well. In most areas I am not adding more then an inch or two of material because the shape of the foam armature is so close to the exterior shape of the work, however in other areas the foam is holding pounds of clay with no problem.
In the photo above here you can see how the shape of the face and it's expression has been enhanced by the addition of hair where before there was only a mask like hair line. Also you get a good shot of the drawing I am beginning to make of my father with the same expression on the wall in the background and how it compares to the sculpture.




No comments:

Post a Comment