Friday, September 3, 2010

Mother Molding

Now that the rubber mold is complete with three layers, seams, and buttons I've begun to add the mother mold layer. For the mother mold pieces I had make them piece by piece. I did not have to do this with the rubber because it can be cut easily with a razor, which the plaster and fiberglass cannot. I used clothing pins, playing cards, and packing tape to create shim walls along the seem lines. I tried to divide the piece in a way that compliments the shape of its features. There are twelve pieces in total.
Since I go back to Massachusetts very soon I have found somebody who has agreed to pick up with where ever I leave off with making the my mold and then, more importantly, they will cast the piece in resin. I'm very sad that I won't get to do the casting myself. I went shopping for ventilators the other day. The people at Douglas and Sturgess said I would need to buy the 'defender' which is the most powerful ventilator mask they sell. Since I am out of time I won't be needing it now.


No comments:

Post a Comment